THE OBJECT OF ROTARY is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
In 1915 Rotary International divided its clubs into separate Districts, improving administration and enhancing opportunities for growth. Originally, the region that was to become District 5230 encompassed a wide area including the cities of Albuquerque, Berkeley, Fresno, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Oakland, Phoenix, Reno, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Stockton.
In 1957 District 522 was established covering the area from Sanger/Avenal in the south, Carmel/Monterey on the Coast, Fresno in the east, and Lodi in the north.
On April 18, 1980 in Sparks, Nevada, District 522 Governor Donald R. Foppiano appointed a committee to study regrouping the clubs. The committee, comprised of nine PDG’s, including PRIP Cliff Dochterman, Chairman, District Secretary Martin Nelsen, and two AR’s, completed its work in 1982. It recommended regrouping clubs within Districts 522 and 524 to form District 523. Rotary International approved the change on July 1, 1982.
District 523 clubs were all within Fresno, Kings, Monterey, and Tulare counties. In 1991, the District number was changed to 5230. New clubs have continued to be chartered on a regular basis since. Presently, there are 58 clubs within District 5230.
On April 30, 1948, the Rotary Club of Fresno voted to sponsor a new club in north Fresno, and appointed Past President Harry Michell to head a Committee to carry out the project. by May 19, 1948, Dr. Mitchell reported to then District Governor Kelly that 20 leading business and professional men located in the proposed territory and expressed a desire to become charter members of a new Rotary Club.
Fresno Rotary Club voted to relinquish area for the formation of the new club from Belmont Avenue north to the San Joaquin River. (This, a few years later was changed to from Divisadero north, and subsequently territory was relinquished by North Fresno Rotary for the formation of East Fresno Rotary in 1956, and Kerman Rotary in 1957, leaving the present territory for North Fresno Rotary from Divisadero north to the San Joaquin River, and from Blackstone west to Dickinson Avenue.)
Copyright 2019. All rights reserved