About Us

In 1915 Rotary International divided its clubs into separate Districts, improving administration and enhancing opportunities for growth. Originally, the region that was to become District 5230 encompassed a wide area including the cities of Albuquerque, Berkeley, Fresno, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Oakland, Phoenix, Reno, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Stockton.

In 1957 District 522 was established covering the area from Sanger/Avenal in the south, Carmel/Monterey on the Coast, Fresno in the east, and Lodi in the north.

On April 18, 1980 in Sparks, Nevada, District 522 Governor Donald R. Foppiano appointed a committee to study regrouping the clubs. The committee, comprised of nine PDG’s, including PRIP Cliff Dochterman, Chairman, District Secretary Martin Nelsen, and two AR’s, completed its work in 1982. It recommended regrouping clubs within Districts 522 and 524 to form District 523. Rotary International approved the change on July 1, 1982.

District 523 clubs were all within Fresno, Kings, Monterey, and Tulare counties. In 1991, the District number was changed to 5230. New clubs have continued to be chartered on a regular basis since. Presently, there are 58 clubs within District 5230.